Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 18 – Mount Rushmore SD

Today was another touring day. We left the campground at 8:30 and drove the two hours to Badlands Nat’l Park. We stopped at a visitor’s center with a huge concrete teepee frame outside. What a neat sculpture! The Badlands were really impressive. The weather wasn’t too hot, but the sun was murderous. Bill got out and walked one trail. I walked far enough to see the “Beware of Rattlesnakes” sign, when the sun drove me back. We couldn’t find a covered picnic spot, so we ate our sandwiches driving down the road. This was a really neat site, mainly a drive-through, but beautiful and unique.

Since it was right there, we stopped at Wall Drugs. Good lord, it was crowded and stuffed to the gills with junk. But it was here that I found what I am starting today: Weird item of the day. Bill went to get a donut. As he ordered and was paying, I noticed a huge block of what I assumed to be grease/lard/whatever just starting to be melted in the fryer. I asked the counter girl what it was, and she answered “Grease, but we change it every day!” The grease block is posted on the Rushmore Area link along with some other photos of the Badlands!

No comments: